Monday, October 13, 2008

Look at this tangle of thorns

Apparently Lolita turns 50 today. This is my all-time favorite book for about a hundred reasons, and I think I've read it about three times now. I'm at that point where I like to open the book to a random page and read for a short bit, then flip through to another section. You bibliophiles know what I'm talking about.

So if you haven't read it yet, go pick it up. It's not even that long, I swear. Or, if you haven't the time for reading, go netflix Kubrick's 1962 version of Lolita. This is one of my favorite movies, as well. James Mason, Shelley Winters, Peter Sellers, and Sue Lyon couldn't have been more perfect picks.

EDIT: Hm, apparently I wasn't supposed to use that pic of the book cover, because they replaced it with a huge red square proclaiming what a low-down dirty thief I am. Duly noted.

3 comments:

Sator Arepo said...

Hey,

Like your blog!

Funny, "Lolita" and "Asa, or Ardor" (is that right?) are I think the only two Nabakov novels I've not read.

Big fan of "Invitation to a Beheading".

Keep it up,
SA

BigRed said...

Thanks, SA! The only two I have read of his are Lolita and Ada, or Ardor (which drags a bit, in my opinion). I'll have to check out "invitation"!

Sator Arepo said...

Ugh, typo: Ada, of course.

Creative Commons License

Rectory Entrance is licensed.
Don't touch my shit unless you ask.

Van Gogh's Ear Award