Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Great Debate!

Er, not really? But I am super jazzed up for tonight's Palin-Biden Smackdown. I don't think that the shortened time frame will help her. If anything, rambling is her secret weapon. She talks in circles for so long that if you aren't paying attention, you forget she didn't answer the question (unless Katie Couric is present, in which case you and Gov. Palin will be reminded THRICE of the original question). Speaking of Katie Couric, does anyone feel as bad for her as I do? She had to spend the whole goddamn day with that blathering ex-beauty queen. The look on her face for every question was all STOP REPRESENTING MY GENDER YOU ARE RUINING EVERYTHING.

The Boyfriend and I were discussing last night how we know so little about Joe Biden. I guess in a sense, I don't really give a shit, because I would vote for a box of cling-wrap over McCain/Palin (It keeps your government fresh!). But I guess that would make me an uninformed voter, which is the worst kind of voter, so I did some digging and here's my list of Pro/cons concerning Mr. Biden:

Pro:
  • He's made some reasonable choices concerning abortion, including voting no on defining an unborn child as eligible for SCHIP, no on prohibiting minors from crossing state lines to obtain an abortion, yes on expanding stem cell research, yes on funding to educate teens on contraceptives, no on banning human cloning, no on maintaining a ban on military base abortions.
  • He would like to remove troops from Iraq and invest in new programs by eliminating war funding and tax cuts.
  • Ok'd civil unions, voted no on flag-burning ban, no on constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, yes on defining sexual orientation in hate crimes, no on ending special funding for women and minority-owned businesses, yes on prohibiting hiring discrimination due to sexual orientation, no on banning affirmative action federal funding.
  • Voted no on limiting death penalty appeals
  • Voted no on increasing penalties for drug offenses
  • Has said that voting for No Child Left Behind was a mistake, voted no on requiring schools to allow voluntary prayer,
  • Provide for emergency fuel assistance, make every car sold a flex-fuel car, voted yes on factoring global warming into federal project planning, yes on reducing national oil usage by 40% by 2025, yes on banning arctic wildlife reserve drilling, take away subsidies to oil companies
  • Voted no on declaring English as official language of government
  • Commitment to never use torture, disappoves of Don't Ask Don't tell, limit soldier deployment to 12 months.
Anywho, there are a lot of other things he has done, but those are some of the things that jumped out at me as that of which I approve. That said, Biden has also done a lot of things that just really piss me off:

Con:
  • No public funding for abortion, supports partial-birth abortion ban, accepts Catholic Church view that life begins at conception
  • Voted yes on prohibiting same-sex marriage (god seriously? Every candidate will say they approve unions and partnerships and all these other words, but they won't call it "marriage"???? SEPARATE ISN'T EQUAL, DUMMIES).
  • Voted yes to loosen restrictions on cell phone wiretapping (I don't care how scared you are that a terrorist will bomb your beloved shopping mall. People who would give up their freedom for security are stupid, stupid fuckheads who deserve the Orwellian society that they get).
  • Fought for up to 12 weeks leave in the Family and Medical Leave Act...but FMLA has a LOT of problems that I am not okay with. Including that 12 weeks isn't really long enough. It has a ways to go and I would hate to see Biden contented with that.
  • Voted yes on reauthorizing the PATRIOT act, no on prohibiting same-sex basic training in the military (go ahead and segregate the troops by sex some more, that will really help foster understanding and eliminate violence towards women when the troops do have to work together).

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about Biden. Overall, I agree with him more than I disagree. But the things that I disagree with him are really important issues to me, so, you know, I'm conflicted. Either way, he is OBVIOUSLY a better choice than Sarah Palin, whose views are so incomprehensible to me that she might as well be from Mars. I eagerly await the debate tonight.

Also, can anyone picture what Palin is doing right now? I envision her sitting in a room with a McCain aide, smiling vacantly as the aide futilely attempts to coach her for tonight.
Aide: Now what do you say when they ask you about foreign policy?
Palin: *blinks* Some folks get to travel abroad, but I never did!
Aide: ...Yes. Now what is your stance on education?
Palin: I wish they taught shopping in school!
Aide: Close enough. Women's issues?
Palin: Let's buy makeup so the boys will like us!
Aide: I don't really think McCain wanted the presidency anyway. You're gold. Go get 'em, tiger.

*special thanks to Simpson's Episode Lisa vs. Malibu Stacey

6 comments:

miss milly said...

I wish Canadian politics were as interesting as yours. Ours just wear sweater vests and insult each other politely.... must have something to do with the Queen. I've been watching the US one closely lately, and am getting relieved with the reports that the popularity of Palin is on the decline. I did I jig when I heard that one.

Lucy said...

O.K., now you have me interested in watching the debate, which I wasn't going to have time to do tonight. I will DVR it and watch late tonight!

Honestly, I am not sure who I am voting for yet but I love all the research you do and it is great to see all the young adults so informed about this election.

I will be checking out those sites you suggested on my blog.

I missed the Katie Couric interview and I really like Katie, hopefully, I can catch it on the computer (my daughter usually finds stuff for me.)

Enjoy the debate:) and blog your thoughts! ( I am thinking I don't need to encourage that,right)

BigRed said...

@ milly: Yeah see, "interesting" also means "scary as all fuck" because we might have someone with the IQ of a celery stalk in charge of our country. Again. Some of us may join you up north come November...

@ Lucy: Hooray!! I'm so glad that I can be of help and more importantly that you are actively researching these things. Knowledge is power! Glad to have you as a reader :)

Lauren said...

It's funny because I was thinking that same thing--I really don't know a lot about Biden. Thank you for providing some facts behind him. But, like you, even if he was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, i'd vote for THAT over McCain/Palin.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know a lot about Biden other than VAWA..so thanks. But now, I'm a little pissed about the stuff in the "cons" section...he's just not doing enough although it is more than the scary alternative. In fact, there is no alternative, to me.

BigRed said...

@ lauren: You're welcome! Mmm peanut butter and jelly president...

@ rj: right on. Too bad our political system really only allows two choices.

Creative Commons License

Rectory Entrance is licensed.
Don't touch my shit unless you ask.

Van Gogh's Ear Award