Tuesday, December 30, 2008

That went fast...

2008 is the year that I graduated college, and it seems weird to me that The Year In Which I Graduate College has come and gone so soon. I'm also surprised that I actually graduated when I was supposed to. When I started my freshman year in '04, I was coming out of a shitty senior year in which I was busted for underage drinking, grounded for several months, let my grades slip, mouthed off to teachers and other adults, skipped school regularly, and on one notable occasion, served an in-school suspension. In general, I was a little shit, and therefore had really low expectations for myself at college-entry. My mom had more or less made me feel like the failure child, and my goals consisted of "get a degree, ANY degree, and graduate. And for the love of all that is holy, don't go back home."

Fast forward four years and I'm a college graduate in New York City with a 3.9 GPA and lofty academic aspirations. I did not see that one coming at all. Shouldn't I be on Intervention by now? I guess there's still time to develop a meth addiction...

Anyway, in the spirit of "Holyshitthatyearwentbysofast" musings, I present the highlights (and lowlights) of my 2008:

  • I finished my very first thesis, a 28-page monstrosity on effects of child attentiveness on later parenting and child problem behavior. All the real academics are snorting derisively at labeling a 28-page paper a "monstrosity," but I'm young, goddamnit.
  • I worked two jobs, a "real" one at a lab and a supplemental one serving snotty weddings and corporate functions. I had a fucking blast at both.
  • I got into a literal screaming match at the wedding-job with a cunt of an event planner. I got to keep my job without so much as a reprimand. I may be the most spoiled employee on Earth.
  • I graduated.
  • I got accepted into an Ivy League PhD program in New York.
  • I went to Bonnaroo and did a shit-load of drugs. Oh, and I saw some good bands, too.
  • I wore a bridesmaid's dress instead of a wedding-server tux.
  • I got my first car, from my Nana. It was a 1987 Plymouth Horizon hatchback. It only had 83,000 miles on it. I predict that it was the coolest car I will ever own in my entire life (I do not mean that sarcastically. I truly appreciate the quirkiness of that car, and I would kill to have it back).
  • I sold my first car to a friend when I moved to New York.
  • I moved to Manhattan.
  • Boyfriend and I moved in together. I think this was the best thing that happened to me all year.
  • I spent more time unemployed than I ever have since I started working at 14.
  • I got a pet bunny from the animal shelter. I litter trained him and taught him to come when called (er, most of the time). He always impresses our visitors.
  • I declined entering my graduate program when the promised funding "fell through" (read: was a lie).
  • I spent many weeks crying myself to sleep. And crying myself awake. And being a gloomy gus in general.
  • I got a new job, just as everyone else was losing theirs.
  • I voted in my second presidential election and fourth overall election.
  • I participated in a major, nationwide protest against Prop 8.
  • I watched my best friend's baby grow into a little girl.
I wish I could glimpse my 2009 list. I hope it says something like "won a muli-million dollar lawsuit against Ivy League Liars" or "ate so many donuts I won a prize." Either one would be fine with me.

PS: Speaking of donuts, my new New York doctor called with blood test results. My cholesterol is AWESOME. The power of youth, baby. I'm gonna get me some McNuggets and a milkshake, suckas.

What's on your list? Happy New Year, everyone :)

No comments:

Creative Commons License

Rectory Entrance is licensed.
Don't touch my shit unless you ask.

Van Gogh's Ear Award